For Father's Day we had my family over to celebrate the hunky dads. I love being able to have my family over and to share amazing food together. I wanted to create a menu for this cookout that was gluten free, but in a totally natural way. I never want guests to feel like they are sacrificing a great meal to make it healthy. All of these recipes are so full of flavor and absolutely satisfying.
Father's Day Menu
- Organic Seedless Watermelon. We sliced up a watermelon and let it chill for a few hours. Always a crowd pleaser. We also tried it grilled and I gotta say... not my thang.
- Fresh fruit Lemonade: I sliced up peaches and lemons and used 1/2 a container of organic frozen lemonade to a pitcher full of water. I let the peaches and lemons marinate in the lemonade for a couple of hours. Meanwhile I froze green grapes and blueberries to act as the ice. Finally when serving, I poured in sparkling orange soda for a little sparkle. I love Pelligrino's version.
- Grass fed beef burgers with melted sharp cheddar cheese
- Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs
- Savory Corn Pudding by Everyday Food Magazine: Cook three slices of bacon in a large pot. Remove bacon and add a diced vidalia onion. Cook about 8 minutes. Then add kernels with juice from 8 ears of corn to pot and cook over medium-high about 5 minutes. Slowly stir in 1/2 a cup of whole milk until creamy. About 2 minutes. Top with basil and bacon. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. ( I ended up using more milk and an immersion blender to get a creamier consistency)
- Wilted Swiss Chard with onion and garlic: I took this beautiful rainbow swiss chard from our garden and wilted it in a cast iron pan with some olive oil, diced vidalia onion, and at the last minute I threw in some minced garlic, salt, and pepper. I finished the dish with some pine nuts.
- Mixed greens
- Pamela's Brownies (the fudgy instructions) and Vanilla bean ice cream