My friend Meghan posted this article on "how to be positive" on facebook yesterday and I've been thinking about it ever since. I totally resonate with the author. I too do exactly what I want to do. I get to work from home and stay with my beautiful and healthy babies. I live in a house that is perfect for us. The fact that we immediately had renters for our other house and were able to close on our dream house are nothing short of a miracle. I love my family and friends, I get to buy good, healthy food. We go out to eat when we want. We are blessed. YET, I still find myself complaining: The kids didn't nap today, I couldn't get anything done. I have no cute clothes. There are a million loads of laundry to do. Kroger didn't have organic canned coconut milk. Target was sold out of my favorite blush. Sam and I never go on dates. There was no cream for my coffee this morning! I can't afford a new rug right now. We'll never finish unpacking. Etc and so forth.
SO. You see the problem here. There are so many ridiculously awesome things happening in my life and I am totally "glossing over the good stuff." Sometimes I struggle with being happy. I feel guilty. I see people around me having a hard time so I make myself feel less happy because I feel like I don't deserve it. Does that make any sense? What favor is that doing anyone?
I choose to be happy. I choose to not take life for granted.
Making me happy today:
- the earring stickers I found for Matilda. they are sparkly and fun and remind me of being little.
- watching the little girls in their ballet clothes flutter through the hall. seeing Matilda mimic the older ballerinas with fierce determination. this also made me cry. gulp.
- getting to sit on my front porch with my mama and enjoy a latte together.
- phoebe's new teeth peeking through when she smiles.
- that we are feeling more settled. only a few more boxes to go!
- reading this sweet book with Matilda. such a thoughtful housewarming gift from our friend's Kate and Andy.
- no meltdowns after ballet.
- the cool mornings we are having. unheard of southern july weather.
- blinds that allow me to change in my room.
- curry cashews.
- all of you!
what is making you happy today?
above photo of this gorgeous vacation home spotted here
twitter/ facebook/ pinterest/ instagram/ bloglovin'